Influencing Global Teams
Improve your leaders’ effectiveness working with stakeholders around the globe
About an Hour Per Day
Michigan Ross Certificate of Completion
All Levels of Leadership
About this Program
Leaders today are building and guiding teams that bring together the best functional expertise from around the world. This requires mastering influence, persuasion and virtual leadership skills that unites diverse teams with varied work experiences and perspectives about strategic and organizational challenges. It is particularly challenging when leaders do not have formal authority over the group’s performance.
This program lays the foundation for leaders who want to develop themselves into successful global leaders. Learners will discover that with every business challenge comes an opportunity to influence an outcome and to understand how to advocate and protect team members from distracting influences. Improve the effectiveness of leaders when working with customers, vendors, peers, employees, and managers around the globe.
Deliver persuasive and memorable arguments and learn how to use relational tactics of influence.
Acquire concrete skills to maximize influence with superiors and peers, as well as customers and external partners.
Explore what kind of leadership works best in a virtual environment.
Utilize influence techniques to connect and align global teams.
Understand personal bias and the impact of social proof to effective decision-making and influencing skills.
Explore leadership types that work effectively with virtual teams and practical exercises to build a strong remote team.
About the Experts
- President of Moussa Consulting
- Adjunct Instructor, NYU and Educator, Due Corporate Education
- Co-author, The Art of Woo: Using Strategic Persuasion to Sell your Ideas, and Committed Teams: Three Steps to Inspiring Passion and Performance
- Associate Professor in the Department of Management and Organizations, Stephen M. Ross School of Business, University of Michigan
- Selected as one the 40 Best Business Professors under 40 in the World by "Poets & Quants" and "CNN Money"
- Partner, TruEdge Consulting
- Clinical Assistant Professor, NYU
- Expert in Developing and Implementing Strategy and Leadership Talent
Participant Quotes | Influencing Global Teams
I think it is important to understand the different dimensions of a virtual team (and teams in general). The one shoe size fits all model does not work and there are many ways to implement something
I know other managers who have mentioned they struggle with managing teams virtually. This course offers a great combination of self-reflection and new ideas
Week One: Validation, Process, and Framing
- Learn how people respond to symbols & signs of authority
- Understand ways that group pressure distorts judgement
- Using social proof as an influence tactic
Week Two: Interpersonal Influence
- Interview a leader to capture influence techniques
- Simulate procedural influence techniques
- Avoid framing bias through simulated practice
- Use availability and scarcity heuristics in arguments
Week Three: Deploying Your Influence Toolkit
- Create memorable messages
- Learning to use informal power
- Practice non-verbal influence
Week Four: Create a Culture of High Performance Through Commitment and Alignment
- Develop techniques for building a great culture within a global team
- Discover how storytelling shapes team culture
- Explore leadership types that work effectively with global teams