Leading Virtual Teams
A comprehensive overview of the best research on how to successfully lead in a virtual team environment
About This Course
In 2019, almost 70% of US companies added telecommuting as part of their employee benefits package (Society for Human Resource Management). Gartner projects that post-pandemic, nearly half of all employees will work remotely at least some of the time (Gartner COVID-19 Crisis Benchmarking Against Your Peers Webinar Poll 2 April 2020). While a recent article in The Atlantic reports, “ Google announced in July that its roughly 200,000 employees will continue to work from home until at least next summer. Mark Zuckerberg has said he expects half of Facebook’s workforce to be remote within the decade. Twitter has told staff they can stay home permanently.” The ability to successfully manage virtual teams is more important than ever.
Leading teams virtually presents special considerations and challenges for leaders seeking high performance. Ways of working need to be adjusted and new considerations come into play for remote teams. Leading Virtual Teams is designed to provide a comprehensive overview of the best research on how to successfully lead in a virtual team environment. Taking a practical, action-oriented approach to the topic, Professors Mario Moussa and Michael Valentine offer evidence to support leaders in managing the special challenges posed by the virtual environment:
- The key leadership differences between live and virtual teams
- What matters most for teams working in a virtual setting
- How leaders need to adjust their styles for leading virtual teams
- The most important factors contributing to a successful virtual team culture
This course features:
- 30-45 minutes of activities a day
- One 60-minute virtual live event with expert faculty
- Expert Guide support of questions, comments, and
Mario Moussa, PhD, MBA
- President, Moussa Consulting
- Adjunct Instructor, NYU and Educator, Duke Corporate Education
- Co-author, The Art of Woo: Using Strategic Persuasion to Sell Your Ideas, and Committed Teams: Three Steps to Inspiring Passion and Performance
Michael Valentine, PhD., J.D.
- Partner, TruEdge Consulting
- Clinical Assistant Professor, NYU
- Expert in Developing and Implementing Strategy and Leadership Talent
What You Will Learn
Understand how to lay the foundation for virtual teams.
Explore what kind of leadership works best in a virtual environment.
Uncover strategies for virtual team growth and success.
What You Will Do
Assess leader team behaviors, your team culture, and your team climate.
Learn how to think about virtual team culture, engagement, and performance.
Try new behaviors to maximize your effectiveness in leading virtual teams.
Laying the Foundation
- Virtual Team Foundation Assessment
- How Are Virtual Teams Different?
- Building the Perfect Team
- What Holds Us Back?
- Virtual Team Development Plan
Creating a Culture of Team Commitment
- Team Culture Strengths and Weaknesses
- How to Build and Maintain a High-Performance Team Culture
- Strategy Execution 101
- Building Virtual Team Culture
Leading for Alignment
- Leadership Profile
- Virtual Environment Leadership
- Encouraging Positive Virtual Behaviors on Your Team
- Virtual Team building
Ensuring Success Through a Learning Environment
- Virtual Team Climate
- Creating a High-Performance Team Environment
- Making Stronger Connections Virtually
- How to Leverage Technology without Burnout
Capstone / Application
- Capstone / Live Event
- Virtual Teams Goal Planning